Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sunday afternoon and it is all finished

Well I really am proud of myself today. Finished this in just one weekend, and I am very pleased with the results.  I distressed the edges ever so slightly, for that 'shabby chic' look, using a rather fine sandpaper, so as not to get carried away with the process.

Now I have no excuse to not sort out my tshirts, pjs and undies into neat tidy drawers,.... oh yes, I forgot to buy lining paper, so have to wait another day or 2.

My first venture into a make-over I shall count as a big success!

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Day Two ..

 Day Two and the drawers have been undercoated, and since this photo was taken also had their first coat of Antique White USA, paint.
 The Body has also had an undercoat, in the bedroom as I couldn't carry it outside to the garage on my own. Might be OK to give a first topcoat tomorrow morning.

I also managed to go shopping today and purchased 8 very sweet silver knobs for the drawers at PROVINCIAL HOME LIVING.  They have lovely furniture and accessories, and who knew they also stock a wide range of knobs?
Just need to buy a hacksaw now, as the screws are too long and will have to be cut off once put into position.  Hey, this is turning into a fun project.

Friday, March 1, 2013

my first Painting Project

Yesterday I went shopping, at Bunnings.  I have a plan.

This 1980s 'orange' pine chest of drawers is very handy, it stores lots of my clothes and things, in my unit where storage is at a premium. But - - -  it's ugly.  In our previous home it fitted inside the walk-in robe, so was out of sight and didn't bother me too much. Prior to that, it was in my son's bedroom, matching his pine bed,[ just like all teens had in 1981].

I have only ever once tried to paint a piece of furniture, it was about 1978 and it was an ugly brown wardrobe, which became an ugly green-antique-finish, painted wardrobe! I never picked up a paintbrush again.

This afternoon I started the 'reno' Removed all handles, sanded down all the drawer surfaces and I have given each one an undercoat.  Yay me!  The body is too heavy and difficult for me to remove to the garage without help. So I have bought a drop cloth and I will paint it  in the bedroom tomorrow!
The plan is to paint it all white, and rub back a few places to get a 'shabby chic' look.

watch this space |__|