Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Sad week ..

 In August, 1980 I met a lovely man at a Cocktail Party in Auckland (this photo was taken just an hour or so after we met).
In October 1980 we were engaged, and married in March, 1981 in Melbourne.
Seven years ago my darling Vic was diagnosed with a Brain Tumor, and although it has been a long hard battle with 2 major surgeries and radio- and chemotherapy, we have had some good times during these years.  Unfortunately, this month we, together with his doctors, have come to the conclusion that I can no longer care for him at home, and he has moved into a Nursing Home.  It is very close to home, so I will be able to visit often.  He does still know me, and functions quite well, except for the fact that he cannot walk unaided, and sometimes forgets this and gets out of his chair or bed and falls over.
Although he has been in and out of hospital and rehab since October, leaving him there alone yesterday was very difficult.
We both know we have done all we could to stay together, but I am still very, very sad.

10 comments:

  1. Love just love, hugs and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lyndel, I don't know what to say. I will send you a proper note/email later. Thinking of you and Vic and feeling your sadness over here in Perth. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart breaks for you and Vic, Lyndel. I truly hope that Vic settles in o.k. and you get the support you need too. We will be thinking of you both, Tam x

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Lyndel, so sad for you both, a very, very hard time.
    Sending you a hug and thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lyndel, you lovely thing. I know how much you love your husband and you've mentioned before that he was ill. Why haven't I been here for so long? How is that grandaughter of yours? (And yes, two makes a collection. You and your husband, together, are a special and irreplaceable collection.xo)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lyndel, those photos are so sweet. And the cross stitched Christmas trees are lovely - I bring those sort of things out every Christmas too!
    It will be bitter-sweet to be with Vic on Christmas Day, but it is nice to know you will be enjoying warm and fuzzy times with your friends soon.
    Look forward to catching up with you in the New Year, and finding out what you and your boss have decided to do about That Cloth!
    Hugs
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lyndel - I just saw your avatar on someone's blog and realised you were still blogging, I thought you'd given it up. Glad to have found you again but so sorry to read your news. I can only imagine how hard it must be to be separated after all this time together. Sounds like you've been doing an amazing job though, and need the rest. I'm glad it's close so you'll be able to visit often. I hope you were able to have a nice Christmas, and that 2013 is as good a year as it can be.

    Lakota x

    New Year's Resolutions of the Stars!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Lyndel, thought I'd pop over for a catch up after you left your comment on my blog and found this post. I'm so sorry for you both, it must be a very difficult time but I hope that with the love and support from your family and friends that you find each day a little easier. The caring for a loved one with a serious illness can be very draining, at least he is close by.

    Take care
    Alison

    ReplyDelete